Spider

Jul. 2nd, 2026 02:48 pm
i_like_the_stars: A white, bunny-like creature in front of a pink heart. There are three yellow stars next to its ears. (Default)
[personal profile] i_like_the_stars posting in [community profile] common_nature
Big ol' spider I stumbled upon when on a walk about a day or two ago. I think she has babies on her back!!!!!


Under a details tag for arachnophobic friends

Date: 2026-07-02 07:47 pm (UTC)
cmcmck: (Default)
From: [personal profile] cmcmck
That's impressive!

Date: 2026-07-02 08:50 pm (UTC)
full_metal_ox: A gold Chinese Metal Ox zodiac charm. (Default)
From: [personal profile] full_metal_ox
Congratulations for the capture, and against a maximally contrasting surface—a well-timed catch, since so many animals seek camouflage.

Some sort of wolf spider, I’m hazarding a guess?

Date: 2026-07-03 03:19 am (UTC)
starwatcher: Western windmill, clouds in background, trees around base. (Default)
From: [personal profile] starwatcher
I think I decided spiders are cool when I read Charlotte's Web. I can't see the babies -- old eyes -- but what a charge!

I've taken spider pics and posted about them in past years.

Tarantula https://starwatcher.dreamwidth.org/67387.html

Orange spider I've never seen again. https://starwatcher.dreamwidth.org/305684.html

Date: 2026-07-03 04:46 am (UTC)
full_metal_ox: A gold Chinese Metal Ox zodiac charm. (Default)
From: [personal profile] full_metal_ox
The orange spider confronting the fly looks like a Wild Jumper, Phidippus carneus:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GardenWild/comments/1flpdix/wild_jumper_phiddipus_carneus_caught_a_fly_for/

Date: 2026-07-03 06:06 am (UTC)
starwatcher: Western windmill, clouds in background, trees around base. (Default)
From: [personal profile] starwatcher
Very cool! I'm in NM, so the location is right, but I didn't know how to look it up. Thanks for the info.

Date: 2026-07-03 07:49 pm (UTC)
full_metal_ox: A gold Chinese Metal Ox zodiac charm. (Default)
From: [personal profile] full_metal_ox
I did an image search for “orange jumping spiders New Mexico”, and then looked for one that corresponded to your photo. (Warning: major search engines will offer an AI summary at the top of the page; disregard the Devil’s Easy Button and go to local nature websites.)

Date: 2026-07-03 11:41 pm (UTC)
starwatcher: Western windmill, clouds in background, trees around base. (Default)
From: [personal profile] starwatcher
I am officially oldTM, and haven't learned to search for that type of general question. If I have a clue, I'm all over it. Someone mentioned "mouse birth control," so I did a search, and some research, and now have bait stations in 6 places. I didn't even recognize that it might be a jumping spider, and couldn't find it with just "orange spider." Of course, that was 17 years ago; search engines have come a long way since then.

Anyway, it's nice to have an ID. Thanks again.

Date: 2026-07-06 06:34 am (UTC)
light_of_summer: (California poppy)
From: [personal profile] light_of_summer
FYI, bugguide.net is a great resource for identifying all sorts of bugs in the USA—you can post cropped photos there, with approximate bug size, date seen, and location, and experts will identify them!

Profile

common_nature: common nature grass (Default)
Common Nature

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112 1314 15
16171819 202122
23242526 272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 29th, 2026 01:19 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios